Buffon's penalty saving flaw (2 Viewers)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
According to Rabbi BD

nice of you to totally avoid the question.

didnt even state that chimi was better than buffon other than the fact chimi is better at penalty saving than buffon, i think everyone knows and agrees with that, if not you really ought to pay more attention at penalty shoot outs
Clearly i cant converse in hebrewnese so for those of you that agree with BD about Buffon's "flaw" please discuss.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Penalty saving is really something you have a knack for or you don't. It's as simple as that. There is no in between, you're either able to read body language, ball placement, "cheat", and react in time to be the hero or you're not. And even guys who are really good at penalties come up the hero less than 10 percent of the time. It's no shame.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
It's well known among most Juventus fans that Buffon isn't as good of a penalty stopper than some other top keepers. Buffon has many, many strengths, but penalties is not one of them.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I do agree with Badass on this one.Penalty saving is perhaps Buffon's only flaw.Though using the word 'flaw' makes it sound really harsh.He's just set such high standards,that an aspect of his game that he's not as brilliant at as the other aspects of his game will get noticed quicker by people.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
u cant be perfect i suppose, and penalties are not one of buffon's best qualities. desptie that he is still the best goal keeper in the world no 2 ways about it.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Buffon is not bad at saving penalties, just mediocre.

Remember that just because he is awesome at almost everything, it does not mean he is bad at penalties just because it it a slight weakness.

This is the same thing as happens with Marchionni. He is not a bad player, he just looks poor because he is always compared to the brilliant Camoranesi.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Pepe Reina, Palop, VDS and others are GREAT at saving pks. Buffon is decent/good at them as most good keepers, not bad, not great (pk is very hard thing to master, the odds are totally against the keepers) . BD is saying he SUCKS. He DOESNT. I have seen Gigi make lots of greats pk saves to even think that for a second.

And especially, BD is saying he sucks so bad, that FRIGGING Chimenti is better then him at pks. Does everyone agree with that too?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Buffon>>>>all other GKs despite the fact he's not sooo good for penalties so I don't see the point of this argument.

Badass,saying he suck at it was too harsh.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
There was a time before the 2003 CL where Buffon was cited with "penalty saving being one of his specialties". My, how opinions change.

Given how often Buffon, or any goalie, goes up against PKs, I think it's still a pretty small sample size. I'd like to see some statistics to back up any assertion as to whether a goalie is good at stopping PKs or not. Until then, it's all hearsay.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Where does one draw the line between luck and instincts?

Players like Trez and Inzaghi aren't just lucky, they are great at anticipating where the ball will go.

What one always has to remember about penalties is that the kicker must make an error for the 'keeper to have a chance to make a save.

It could be argued that the kicker is more concentrated against Buffon, because he is the best 'keeper in the world, and so they make less mistakes against him.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
There was a time before the 2003 CL where Buffon was cited with "penalty saving being one of his specialties". My, how opinions change.

Given how often Buffon, or any goalie, goes up against PKs, I think it's still a pretty small sample size. I'd like to see some statistics to back up any assertion as to whether a goalie is good at stopping PKs or not. Until then, it's all hearsay.
Exactly. I can gurantee you that he myth of him being bad at them is solely based on the CL final shootout, and later WC2006 shootout, like its easy to save them, and that if you dont you are bad suddenly (Like you, I recall him being coined a pk expert before that).

When when it comes to pks alone, he has done quite well for us, Parma and the Azzurri in cases like in this euro. Clincher saves like a certain Figo pk, and several Serie A ones that wont recall much because they were just league games.

PK experts are Pepe Reina, VDS and few others (who are more instinctive pk goalies then Gigi), just because you arent brilliant at saving them doesnt mean one is bad at them. In Gigi's case, its flattering for him because he is held to such a ridicolous high standard due to his overall brilliance, that if he isnt perfect with pks too, its considered a flaw, or idiots thinks he sucks at them.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Exactly. I can gurantee you that he myth of him being bad at them is solely based on the CL final shootout, and later WC2006 shootout, like its easy to save them, and that if you dont you are bad suddenly (Like you, I recall him being coined a pk expert before that).
It makes me very suspicious when a goalie goes from "specializing in penalty saving" to "a penalty kick choker" in the span of one single match.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
What Buffon does is he choses one way to go before the shot is released and if the ball goes that way he is likely to save. Therefore it looks weaker when he goes the wrong way. Edvin VdS is a keeper that practices another method by never taking a chance. Remember the CL-final in 96 where VdS goes the right direction every single time, but saves none. What I'm saying is it might appear that VdS is always close to saving the penalties that go in while Buffon is always swimming around in the opposite corner. Now, I need some stats to back this up but I'm quite sure their records don't differ enormously much.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
It is indeed Buffon's greatest fault, he lacks too much there, comparing his efficiency at every other way, but i am not sure that Chimenti is any better though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)